It’s World Pasta Day, so why not celebrate with this delicious and fresh Chicken Pesto Pasta that the whole family will love.
Pasta seems to be food of choice for most kids and by adding a tasty sauce full of vegetables, it also gets a tick for being nutrient rich. This Chicken Pesto Pasta is loaded full of delicious vegetables but before you dive into making it, make sure you have a jar of homemade pesto ready or the ingredients to make it fresh. For a delicious homemade pesto you’ll need basil, pine nuts, extra virgin olive oil, parmesan cheese and salt. You’ll find our easy-to-make pesto recipe here. Once you have your fresh pesto ready, you’re all set to get started with making this Chicken Pesto Pasta.
Chicken Pesto Pasta
350g Casarecce pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
400g skinless chicken breast, diced
¼ cup pine nuts
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 small onion, diced
10 button mushrooms
1 red capsicum, diced
⅓ cup fresh pesto
¼ cup light cooking cream
100g grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup baby spinach leaves
Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Add pasta and cook according to directions on the pack – usually about 11 minutes. Once cooked, remove from stove and drain water.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in fry pan. Cook chicken for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Remove from frypan and set aside.
- Place pine nuts in frypan and toast until golden. Remove from frypan and set aside with chicken.
- Heat remaining olive oil in fry pan. Add garlic, onion, mushrooms and red capsicum. Cook until soft.
- Add pesto and light cream, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken and pine nuts and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add pasta, tomatoes and baby spinach and cook for a further minute.
- Serve and top with parmesan cheese.
J+L Lifestyle Tip: Serve with steamed carrots, beans and broccoli or a garden salad.